Current Professional Societies
1. Member of China Chapter of IWA Young Water Professionals (IWA-YWP China)
2. Early-Career Editorial Board of《China Water & Wastewater》Journal
3. Early-Career Editorial Board of《iMeta》Journal
4. Guest Editor of SCI Journal《Water Environment Research》, Special Issue “Anammox in China”
5. Topic Editor of SCI Journal《Frontiers in Microbiology》
6. Guest Editor of SCI Journal《Applied sciences》
7. Guest Editor of SCI Journal《International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health》
1. Theory and technology of biological nitrogen removal from wastewater; (mainly focusing on the anammox and technologies combining with partial nitrification or partial denitrification, optimizing control and microbial mechanism);
2. Resource reclamation in municipal wastewater and sludge treatment;
3. Mechanism and control of greenhouse gas emission in the wastewater treatment process.
1. Alexander von Humboldt Scholar;
2. Candidate of National Postdoctoral Innovative Talents Support Program, 2018;
3. Candidate of the first Excellent Doctoral Dissertation from Chinese Society of Environmental Sciences, 2020;
4. Candidate of Young Talents Support Project of Beijing Science and Technology Association, 2020;
5. Outstanding winner of Ogano (Water Quality and Water Environment) Scholarship, 2017;
6. Winner of Shanghai Tongji Gettingyao Environmental Protection Foundation Young Doctoral Scholarship, 2017.
1. Rui Du, Shenbin Cao, Xiangchen Li, Jiarui Fan, Yongzhen Peng*. Beyond an Applicable Rate in Low-Strength Wastewater Treatment by Anammox: Motivated Labor at an Extremely Short Hydraulic Retention Time. Environmental Science & Technology 2022, 56, 12, 8650–8662.
2. Rui Du, Shenbin Cao, Hanyu Zhang, Xiangchen Li, Yongzhen Peng*. Flexible Nitrite Supply Alternative for Mainstream Anammox: Advances in Enhancing Process Stability. Environmental Science & Technology 2020, 54, 6353−6364.
3. Rui Du, Shenbin Cao, Baikun Li, Meng Niu, Shuying Wang, Yongzhen Peng*. Performance and microbial community analysis of a novel DEAMOX based on partial-denitrification and anammox treating ammonia and nitrate wastewaters. Water Research, 2017, 108:46-56. （Highly cited paper）
4. Rui Du, Shenbin Cao, Yongzhen Peng*, Hanyu Zhang, Shuying Wang. Combined Partial Denitrification (PD)-Anammox: A method for high nitrate wastewater treatment. Environment International 2019, 126: 707-716.
5. Rui Du, Cong Li, Qingtao Liu, Jiarui Fan, Yongzhen Peng*. A review of enhanced municipal wastewater treatment through energy savings and carbon recovery to reduce discharge and CO2 footprint. Bioresource Technology 2022, 364, 128135.
6. Rui Du, ShenbinCao, Baikun Li, Hanyu Zhang, Shuying Wang, Yongzhen Peng*. Synergy of partial-denitrification and anammox in continuously fed upflow sludge bed reactor for simultaneous nitrate and ammonia removal at room temperature. Bioresource Technology 2019, 274: 386–394.
7. Rui Du, Shenbin Cao, Baikun Li, Hanyu Zhang, Xiyao Li, Qiong Zhang, Yongzhen Peng*. Step-feeding organic carbon enhances high-strength nitrate and ammonia removal via DEAMOX process. Chemical Engineering Journal 2019, 360: 501-510.
8. Rui Du, Shenbin Cao, Hanyu Zhang, Yongzhen Peng*. Formation of partial-denitrification (PD) granular sludge from low-strength nitrate wastewater: the influence of loading rates. Journal of Hazardous Materials 2020, 384, 121273.
9. Rui Du, Yongzhen Peng*, Jijian Tao, Liangliang Shi, Ruitao Gao, Xiangchen Li. Partial denitrification providing nitrite: Opportunities of extending application for anammox. Environment International 2019, 131, 105001.
10. Rui Du, Shenbin Cao, Xiangchen Li, Jincheng Wang, Yongzhen Peng*. Efficient Partial-Denitrification/Anammox (PD/A) process through gas-mixing strategy: System evaluation and microbial analysis. Bioresource Technology 2020, 300, 122675.
11. Rui Du, Yongzhen Peng*, Shenbin Cao, Shuying Wang, Meng Niu. Characteristic of nitrous oxide production in partial denitriﬁcation process with high nitrite accumulation. Bioresource Technology 2016, 203:341–347.
12. Rui Du, Shenbin Cao, Shuying Wang, Meng Niu, Yongzhen Peng*. Performance of partial denitriﬁcation (PD)-ANAMMOX process in simultaneously treating nitrate and low C/N domestic wastewater at low temperature. Bioresource Technology 2016, 219:420–429.
13. Rui Du, Yongzhen Peng*, Shenbin Cao, Shuying Wang, Chengcheng Wu. Advanced nitrogen removal from wastewater by combining anammox with partial denitriﬁcation. Bioresource Technology 2015, 179:497–504.
14. Rui Du, Yongzhen Peng*, Shenbin Cao, Chengcheng Wu, Dongchen Weng, Shuying Wang, Jianzhong He. Advanced nitrogen removal with simultaneous Anammox and denitriﬁcation in sequencing batch reactor. Bioresource Technology 2014, 162:316–322.
15. Rui Du, Shenbin Cao, Baikun Li, Shuying Wang, Yongzhen Peng*. Simultaneous domestic wastewater and nitrate sewage treatment by DEnitrifying AMmonium OXidation (DEAMOX) in sequencing batch reactor.Chemosphere, 2017, 174: 399–407.
16. Rui Du, Shenbin Cao, Meng Niu, Baikun Li, Shuying Wang, Yongzhen Peng*. Performance of partial- denitrification process providing nitrite for anammox in sequencing batch reactor (SBR) and upflow sludge blanket (USB) reactor. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, 2017, 122: 38 –46.
17. Rui Du, Yongzhen Peng*, Shenbin Cao, Baikun Li, Shuying Wang, Meng Niu. Mechanisms and microbial structure of partial denitrification with high nitrite accumulation. Applied Microbiology & Biotechnology, 2016, 100(4):2011-2021.
18. Jingwen Zhang, Yongzhen Peng, Xiangchen Li, Rui Du*. Feasibility of partial-denitrification/ anammox for pharmaceutical wastewater treatment in a hybrid biofilm reactor. Water Research, 2022, 208, 117856.
19. Xiangchen Li, Yongzhen Peng, Jingwen Zhang, Rui Du*. Multiple roles of complex organics in polishing THP-AD filtrate with double-line anammox: Inhibitory relief and bacterial selection. Water Research, 2022, 216, 118373.
20. Cong Li, Qingtao Liu, Jiarui Fan, Yongzhen Peng, Rui Du*, Metagenomics-based interpretation of selective bioaugmentation promoting partial-denitrification coupling with anammox process reactivation in suspended sludge system. Chemical Engineering Journal, 2023, 454, 139977.
Du Rui is Associate Professor in Beijing University of Technology, master and PhD supervisor in Environmental Science and Engineering, and is also affiliated with the National Engineering Laboratory for Advanced Municipal Wastewater Treatment and Reuse Technology of China. She is also the Alexander von Humboldt Reserch Fellow in Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Water Chemistry and Water Technology, Germany. She has been awarded PhD degree in 2018, and her research focuses on sustainable wastewater treatment, including biological wastewater treatment, novel technology development based on anammox combining with partial nitrification or partial denitrification, optimization and control, resource reclamation, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and reduction. Dr. Du has been awarded National- and Provincial-level research funding, from National Natural Science Foundation of China, National Key Research and Development Program of China, and National Postdoctoral Innovative Talents Support Program. She receives several high-value awards, including Alexander von Humboldt Scholar, the First Awards of Provincial-Level Science and Technology (3 times), Excellent Doctoral Dissertation of Chinese Society of Environmental Sciences, and Outstanding winner of ORGANO (Water Quality and Water Environment) Scholarship. She is an elected member of China Chapter of IWA Young Water Professionals (IWA-YWP China), Early-Career Editorial Board of《China Water & Wastewater》, and Guest Editor in 4 international journals.